Revised Cell Phone Policy starting on January 3rd, 2023.
Chatelech Secondary School will be implementing a “Cell Phone/Electronic Device Policy” during instructional time and Flex time. In an effort to maintain an optimal learning environment, ensure safety and limit distractions, cell phones will no longer be allowed during class time and flex. This will start January 3rd, 2023.
The policy requires all cell phones/electronic devices (head phones, ear buds, smart watch) be turned off during instructional and flex times and either kept in a “Cell Phone Hotel” in the classroom or in student lockers or back packs. We understand communication is important and if you need to contact your child during instructional or flex time, please call our school office at 604-885-3216. If you need to reach your child in an emergency, please call the school office and we will remove your child from their classroom to take your call privately. In an emergency, we will support your child until you can come to them.
The following are non-instructional times when students can be contacted:
- before school starts at 9:00 am
- between 12:00-12:45 (lunch)
- between 1:53-2:02 (break)
- after school ends at 3:10 pm
All teachers are responsible for establishing the cell phone/electronic device policy in their classrooms and shall follow the process below:
- Expectations will be clearly shared with students and posted in clear view in the classroom.
- Students will receive a reminder to turn off and store devices in the classroom, in their locker or their back pack.
- Should a student not comply, they will be directed to deliver their device to the front office staff (Emily Bachand) where it will be held in a secure location for the remainder of the school day. Students will meet with the school principal or vice principal before retrieving their device.
- The school principal or vice principal will contact parents/caregivers when a student is struggling to follow the cell phone/electronic device policy
- In the event a student is consistently struggling to follow the school wide cell phone/electronic device policy, parents/caregivers will be contacted to arrange a pickup for that student and/or device, AND the device will remain home until further notice.
Thank you in advance for your partnership with our school and your ongoing support in our efforts to provide a safe and productive learning environment for all our amazing students! For any questions or concerns please email Tulani Pierce at email@example.com.
Chatelech Secondary School Staff